Saturday, September 20, 2008

Desert Flowers in Mentryville, California


Just got back from a trip to L.A. and took a load of pics.
I decided I wanted to find a place, that might have some different terrain, more stark and colorless than the very colorful flora I usually take, and considering L.A. is so close to the desert I thought I would try and check out some ghost towns.


I asked for some recommendations from a friend, and was told to go to Bodie, California, which is about 4 hours or so from Sherman Oaks, where my sister lives. But, I want to save that (and a trip to Yosemite (which is close to Bodie) for when I upgrade my camera, so it will have to wait until my next trip.

So, I did some research, and the only placec close enough was Mentryville, in the Santa Clarita Valley, about 30 minutes from Sherman Oaks.

Packed my gear and headed noth for Santa Clarita, got off at Lyons Road and drove it until it ended at Mentryville, an insignificant, not very interesting bit of history. It was closed to the public, to boot. But I drove around and took some photos of the surrounding mountains and some very interesting dried flowers. Haven't a clue what they are, even after trying to research it on the net, so if anyone knows what these are, please let me know.

The photo looks as though it's sepia, but this is exactly what it looked like.

Can't wait to go to Bodie next time.

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You're right... It DOES look like sepia... Interesting that it's not. VERY NICE effect even if it was natural.
Your photos are lovely.

Jesspeterson said...

thanks Marian.. It's interesting how that works. I have taken pics that look black and white on gray, overcast days.

Your work is beautiful as well!