Friday, September 26, 2008

Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate- To Upgrade Or Not

I have Paint Shop Pro X2 which is definitely the poor man's alternative to Adobe Photoshop. It wasn't just the cost that convinced me to purchase PSP instead of Photoshop, but what I perceived to be a much more user-friendly system. I could be wrong, but the choice was made and I will stick with it, for now.

I've been working with the PSPX2 for less than a year and I have to be honest, I'm not thrilled. It's very slow and buggy, so when I read that there was an upgrade, PSPX2 Ultimate, that some people were claiming fixed some of those issues, I was delighted. Although I wasn't thrilled to be paying for what would amount to a patch, and a few extras. I decided, however, to go ahead and purchase it. For a limited time they were offering the Ultimate as an upgrade for those who already had the X2 for $29.99, but frankly, it isn't worth the cost. I think the price has gone up, since.

The Ultimate, comes with a 2 GB USB flash drive (which you can get for $10.00 on sale at Target), a background remover plug in (who cares), Corel Painter Photo Essentials 4 (they just took away all the painter effects from X2 and added them here- and I would rather they were in X2, Media Software Recovery (to retrieve lost photos etc on reformatted memory cards- I could care less), Creative Content Pack with new frames and tubes, but for the life of me, I couldn't find any new frames. That's about it for the Ultimate, and to add insult to injury it's still the same slow, buggy software as before.

If you are considering upgrading to the Ultimate, I wouldn't, but that's just my opinion.

No comments: